Fast Food in Marrakech

Street food in Marrakech, Morocco has quite a reputation. Now, I am delighted to say, I understand why. During our two days here, Jay and I sampled some of the wonderful offerings at the Jemaa el Fna, the huge square in the Medina, the walled old city.

This woman fries pieces of flattened yeasted dough on a griddle. Drizzled with honey and rolled up… a fantastic treat for two dirhams (about 25 cents).

Hassan is one of several vendors serving up steaming bowls of escargots in an herby broth.

The freshly-squeezed orange juice kiosks offer the sweetest juice I have ever tasted!

Late in the afternoon, the central area of the square is abustle with the setting up of dozens of stalls serving all manner of grilled meats, stews, vegetables, and sweets. At the end of the evening, these temporary restaurants disappear…

…but are sure to be resurrected the next day.

Credit for some of these photos goes to Jay; to see more of Marrakech through his lens, visit his blog.

You are in Marocco! I was there for 2 day end of October and enjoyed it, too. Unfortunately not in Marrakech. Enjoy the rest of your holidays!

What a great surprise to see your post! You know I am green with envy of your trip, I wish I could go there someday!

wonderful pictures, I look forward to your next “report”

Have fun, Susan!

What fabulous photos!! I love living vicariously…. We’ve read in Anissa Helou’s book “Mediterranean Street Food” about Moroccan street food and this just confirms (and how) everything she wrote.

Waaaahhh!! Why can’t we have great street food like that here?

Such compelling images, Susan. Nothing could work better to bring a sense of this invigorating world, oh well… the actual taste of the fried pieces of flattened yeasted dough on a griddle, drizzled with honey and rolled up might do the trick.

What a journey! Thanks for letting us ‘peep’ into your world. I hope you have a most wondrous adventure. I can’t wait to see what it inspires.

6. judd weekendloafer says

The whole trip sounds magical…wonder journey for you both…thanks to you and jay sharing your adventures!

7. Caroline says

Would love to see more pic taken by Jay but the link doesn’t work….when you get a chance will look forward to more pics. Looks so wonderful !

thank you for sharing this, curious to know about the rest of the trip! local street food is always delicious and this Moroccan bread sounds just amazing… not to mention the idea of having escargots on the go… amazing!

Hi there! I love the photos. I’m away from home country (Morocco) and seeing this makes me feel homesick!

The flattened yeast dough is not bread to us, it’s rather a pancake which might come with differents filling or just plain, nice when you have it with a warm Moroccan tea.
    I have posted the recipe in my blog but it is in french.

This dough is shaped in differents forms, here is the most famous: http://multinationalcook.blogspot.com/2011/02/les-mlaouijadore.html

I hope you try it!! It’s also freezer-friendly as long as you warm them in a pan.