For this banana bread, inspired by my all-time favorite from The Moosewood Cookbook, I replaced a portion of the flour with fine dry bread crumbs. The crumbs I used were from a slightly sweet oatmeal molasses bread, but any crumbs should work if your banana is good and ripe.
Banana Crumb Bread
Yield: one loaf
- Mix : 10 minutes
- Bake: about 50 minutes
- 94 grams olive oil
- 170 grams honey
- 105 grams (2 large) eggs
- 125 grams flour
- 3 grams (1/2 teaspoon) salt
- 0.9 grams (1/4 teaspoon) baking soda
- 6.8 grams (1 1/2 teaspoons) baking powder
- 0.3 grams (1/4 teaspoon) nutmeg
- 2.5 grams ( 1 teaspoon) cinnamon
- 213 grams dry, finely ground bread crumbs
- 264 grams very ripe banana, mashed (about 3 or 4 bananas)
- 116 grams strong coffee
- 3 grams grated orange zest (from 1/2 small orange)
- 6.7 grams (1 1/4 teaspoons) vanilla extract
- 1.3 grams (1/4 teaspoon) almond extract
- sesame seeds for finishing
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Generously butter an 8.5 x 4.5-inch loaf pan. Coat the inside of the pan with sesame seeds.
- Beat the olive oil, honey, and eggs together until they lighten in color.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Stir the bread crumbs into these dry ingredients.
- In another medium bowl, combine the banana, coffee, orange zest, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the banana mixture to the honey mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. After each addition, mix well to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the top with sesame seeds.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center of the loaf returns clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.