What Did I Bake?

Can anyone tell me what I should call these cute pointy-ended mini loaves? I would not call them rolls because that connotes something round-ish. Or am I making that up? They’re 7 or 8 inches long and 1.5 inches in diameter — not long enough to be called baguettes or ficelles, I think. So what are they?

I used the recipe for Semolina Bread with Currants, Fennel, and Pine Nuts, with some changes: I toasted the pine nuts (make sure they’re cool before adding them to the dough), and I substituted anise seed for 2.5 g of the fennel. I also used a bit less water than in the original recipe, because my flour was not as absorbent today. They were baked at 440F for 12 minutes. Dividing the dough at 50 grams, the recipe made 21… things.

Despite being nameless, they’re pretty good. A lot of crunchy crust for the buck, and quite sweet, despite having no sweetener except the seeds (anise makes it sweeter than the original) and currants.

1. Molly says

zeppelins? There’s a bakery in Vancouver, BC that makes a fig and anise bread. I’ve never seen it anywhere else, but it’s pure heaven, sliced and spread with sweet butter.

Hello Susan,
    They look adorable and look exactly like the breads they used to serve at the pizzeria near my school. Normally we couldn’t afford the pizza, but would get the salad and those cutesy breads with butter. Straight from the oven, piping hot. They were white bread though. For some reason they called them pizza bread, perhaps they used the same dough. Either way, I’m imagining dipping yours with pine nuts and all in olive oil. Yummy!

Caramella

They look like gondolas. And they look fantastic.

That’s really interesting to hear that anise seed isn’t virtually the same as fennel seed. I wonder what dill seed would be like in this bread.

I will have to try it and see. We love this recipe of yours!

Wow, thanks everyone. I thought I’d get some great suggestions and I was not disappointed. Now I’m going to have to make a lot more breads in this shape, some flutes, some zeppelins, some petites ficelles, some pistolets, some gondola-love-boats. Which is not a problem because I really love the shape, just the right size for a snack. The only problem is, like baguettes, they dry out very quickly.

I have been avoiding your blog because our oven was broken–and I couldn’t bear looking at baked goods. But, I am glad to be back–I love the idea of baking with semolina. As for a name–Semolina surprise?

torpedoes? a lady at the grocery store was telling another the other day: “i made torpedoes”. and the other one said: “you mean tostidos”?

I think I’ve seen these called torpedoes, but I like Melissa’s idea of petits ficelles. But whatever they are, they look absolutely fabulous! I’d love to tear into one or 2 right now!

8. doughboy says

The shape of your beautiful, sensuous rolls is spindle-shaped…fusiform…by scientific description…rounded cross-section, wider in the middle and pointed at both ends. From the Latin fusus, for spindle.

In French, fuseau; in Italian, fuso; in Spanish, huso,

I like fuseau. Plural would be fuseaux, I believe.

Or, just spindles