Blackberry Bread Pudding

After a day of trying to lay my oven hearth, and ending up with very little to show for it, I went to forage a few early blackberries. They wound up in this bread pudding, along with the last of my (now 3-day-old) sourdough. Now I am fortified for another day of oven-wrangling.

Blackberry Bread Pudding

Servings: 4 – 6

Ingredients:

• About 6 ounces de-crusted stale sourdough bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (3 lightly-packed cups of cubes)
  • 1 c. fresh blackberries
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 1/4 c. whole milk (I substituted 1 3/4 c. nonfat milk plus 1/2 c. half and half)
  • 2 T. packed brown sugar
  • 7 T. granulated sugar
  • 1 t. ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 t. ground coriander seed
  • scant 1/2 t. salt

1. Lightly butter a 1.5-quart baking dish.
  2. Place half the bread cubes in the baking dish, followed by half the blackberries. Top with the remaining bread, then the remaining blackberries.
  3. Whisk together the eggs, milk, sugars, cinnamon, coriander, and salt. Pour the mixture over the bread and berries.
  4. Let stand for 30 – 40 minutes, pressing the bread cubes with a spoon to submerge them in the custard every few minutes.
  5. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350F.
  6. Bake in a water bath for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, until the center of the pudding is puffed and firm.
  7. Serve warm with ice cream.

This is going to YeastSpotting this week. If you’d like to participate, get the details here.

Looks tasty! I’ve been meaning to make bread pudding (I have my eyes set on a couple of recipes already), but haven’t gotten around to it yet. I am quite intrigued by your bread pudding as you made it with sourdough bread, which is quite nontraditional. Did the sourdough add any special flavor notes?

Bread pudding is one of my favorite desserts. I’ve never tried it with sourdough, an oversight that I will remedy in the near future. And I love that little fawn!

My nephew in Iowa has picked over 10 lbs. of wild blackberries over the past few weeks. He wants me to make blackberry syrup for him when I visit in this week, but I think we should try this. I wish I had some of your sourdough!

Blackberry season, here I come. Only a couple more weeks before I’m knee deep in the things. This looks wonderful and is now hgh priority on my blackberry recipe list. Hope your having fun with your project and deer watching.

Sending this one to the boyfriend. I bake the bread and he makes me bread pudding when my loaves go stale. Looks absolutely delicious!

Hmm, yeah! Good Sourdough is such a treat if you can find it, and I can think of no better way to use up any – rare – leftovers.

What a lovely way to put a twist on an old, old classic too.

Boaz, this was a fairly sour, part-wholegrain sourdough and it gave the pudding more body and robust bread flavor without making the pudding overtly sour.

Madam Chow, the fawn is rarely seen without mom, I guess he’s getting more independent.

Eileen, I only use 1 cup of berries for this (although of course you could use more), so you’d still have plenty left for that syrup. Sounds delicious!

rainbowbrown, it’s so great to be able to pick wild berries, isn’t it? One of the things I love about being here.

zainab and farida, thanks!

Katie and grace, welcome and thanks for stopping by.

Tim, I think you’ll need to bake more ;)

Claire, how lucky to have someone make bread pudding for you!

katy, this is the closest the fawn has come. He seemed to be checking out the oven.

GirlCanBake, yes, it is extremely simple — my kind if dessert!

Graeme, thank you!

Still haven’t made sourdough. Heck, I still haven’t tackled a real starter. And since I’m completely out of excuses, it looks like I should get started, right? Otherwise, I won’t be able to make this pudding. Of course, there would be no foraging for berries, either, but that’s only a technicality. Yummy pudding…

9. Ashley says

Just stumbled across this recipe on foodgawker while looking for something to do with my week-old sourdough loaf. Tastes great! Added some bananas too.

1. [...] One thing about Sunday night dinners that never changes is that there is always way too much food!  Our Fourth of July (really the third of July) dinner consisted of homemade chicken wings, potato salad, deviled eggs, and a romaine salad.  We also had delicious sourdough rolls from Sprouts which usually go fast, but they were left untouched with all the other side dishes to choose from. Because the rolls are so good, we had to find something to do with them! So when my mom and I thought about it  bread pudding sounded like the perfect way to utilize a dozen or so rolls!  I also had a crate of blackberries sitting in my refrigerator.  It only made sense to combine two left overs in one tasty dish! The bread pudding alone is delicious, but this sauce makes it even better!  The alcohol cooks out of the sauce, so anyone can enjoy it!  There’s just a slight whiskey taste which cuts the sweet just enough!  We ate this for breakfast and it was like eating a fancy french toast.  It would also be the perfect dessert after dinner! Blackberry Bread Pudding Adapted from Wild Yeast Blog [...]