DHMO Alert

It has come to my attention that dihydrogen monoxide (DHMO) — a powerful solvent linked to thousands of deaths each year — is a common additive in many foods, including breads and other baked goods. It seems I may have even unwittingly added it to my own breads on occasion — yikes!

I urge you to inform yourselves about this potentially lethal chemical, and decide for yourselves whether it is a risk you’re willing to take.

DHMO.org

Coalition to Ban DHMO

DHMO: Your All-Natural Friend

1. Q says

good thing paid attention in high school chemistry so as to better understand these rare chemical compounds….. And though I’ve never tried adding scotch to my baking, I have added wine on more than one occasion (even bad wine can add a lovely color to a loaf..)

Lori, you should check all the links. Especially the last one — read the whole thing. This will give you an idea of why dhmo is often found in bread.

lol :-D
    I did not check your page yesterday but the thought of DHMO in bread… So dangerous. We have to find another way for our breads! But we can not stop with the dough, we have to think of the baking process and that everyone (me too!) suggested to use gaseous DHMO to get a better oven spring and nicer crust colour. You even posted about how to make gaseous DHMO about three years ago.

Stefanie, thank you for pointing this out. I’m not sure what I was thinking there. Gaseous DHMO is especially dangerous as it can cause severe burns.

You naughty baker! Adding DHMO to your breads!

Being a biochemist, I actually know what is REALLY behind DHMO – it is a potent aphrodisiac, particularly when mixed with a wild yeast…

:-)

6. Janknitz says

You had me going for a moment because I didn’t see this post on the first!

Luckily my brain (albeit slowly) figured it out before panic set in and I checked the date. ;o)

7. mlaiuppa says

One of the most notorious websites used for the promotion of information literacy.

I used to have quite a few bookmarked, for instructional purposes only of course, but this one has always been my favorite.