Pâté and Pâte

Daring Cooks strike again! Our hostesses this month, Evelyne of Cheap Ethnic Eatz, and Valerie of The Chocolate Bunny, chose delicious pate with freshly baked bread as their June Daring Cooks challenge. They’ve provided us with four different pate recipes to choose from and are allowing us to go wild with our homemade bread choice.

Okay, I can’t say I went exactly wild with the bread choice, but in my opinion there is no better complement to liver pâté than a simple baguette. Made from pâte de baguette (baguette dough), of course.

And wow, who knew that liver pâté was so easy to make at home? I would like to try the other challenge recipes soon, too — Chicken Liver Terrine, Tricolor Vegetable Pâté, and Trout and Shrimp Pâté — but I really liked the one I chose: Three Spice Liver Pâté.

The three spices are coriander, cumin, and cinnamon, although I’d count the cracked peppercorns as a spice too. What a delicious combination of flavors with the liver. I think I would increase the dosing of the spices a bit next time, though. The recipe called for pork or beef liver, and since I didn’t find pork, beef it was. I’d also like to try it with chicken liver to see if I could get a richer, creamier texture.

If you make this, be aware that the baking time may be significantly longer than stated in the recipe. I used a probe thermometer to gauge the internal temperature, and it took about 2.5 hours (the recipe stated 1 – 1.5 hours) to reach 160F, which seems to be about standard for meat pâtés. Also, the recipe as given yields a lot of pâté. (Two of us ate about a third of it over two or three meals, and I froze the rest in three portions. It has yet to be seen whether it actually freezes well.)

The raw pâté, and the bacon-lined dish I scooped it into:

The pâté completely encased in bacon, before and after baking:

You will find all the pâté recipes for this month’s challenge here. Next go check out how the other Daring Cooks have put them together. Then go try one for yourself. And don’t forget the pâte de baguette.

1. Howard Olds says

What a terrific spread—baguette, pate, cornicions and olives. What a lovely spread. It all looks so delicious and your baguettes are picture perfect. I’m thinking picnic basket and a bottle of chilled Mersault.

Susan…I knew your bread and pates would be gorgeous! That baguette is superb! I would eat your three spice liver pate, and I cannot stomach liver!

Wow! Your pate pictures have me wishing I had made the three spice pate. Maybe I will have to try it out soon. Great job on the bread. It looks delicious with the pate spread over it. Great job on this challenge!

Wow, the crust on your baguettes is spectacular! And the pâté looks perfect and creamy! Thank you for cooking with us, and congrats on a beautiful challenge!

That baguette is just GORGEOUS! You make amazing bread Susan. I am always in awe. Being the foodie that I am I still think about he conchas and the bread round with the herb across the top.

As I visit more of the challenge blogs, I keep being amazed at how elegant a forcemeat terrine and bread can become. That baguette is the most beautiful color. Great work.

Well, nothing to say about the perfect, gorgeous baguette, oh queen of bread, but that pâté looks out of a French traiteur! Perfect! Yum, I’d love to taste that.

This is making my mouth water – I love cornichons with pate and good crusty bread!
    And, by the way, your baguette looks perfect – why can’t I buy bread like that!?