Chocolate and Raspberries, and Ice Cream and Cake

The July 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Sunita of Sunita’s world – life and food. Sunita challenged everyone to make an ice-cream filled Swiss roll that’s then used to make a bombe with hot fudge. Her recipe is based on an ice cream cake recipe from Taste of Home.

Well now, this is a little embarrassing. Looking over my last few Daring Bakers challenges, I see that I have chosen to do a raspberry/chocolate combination for the latest three, and four of the last six. And I wonder why my friends find it so easy to predict what dessert I’m going to order in restaurants.

Not that I’m regretting a minute of it. Chocolate and rasberries go together like, well, ice cream and cake.

And although I have never been big a fan of Swiss rolls (I’m quite certain there is an early-childhood run-in with Little Debbie lurking in my long-repressed recesses), and although my cake looks on the outside like it’s had a run-in with something or other, this bombe was the bomb.

I followed Sunita’s recipes for the Swiss rolls that form the bombe’s outer layer, and for the fudge sauce that ended up sandwiched between the two home-made ice creams inside. My ice creams, churned with my KitchenAid mixer’s ice cream attachment, were both adapted from David Lebovitz‘s wonderful book, The Perfect Scoop. I added cocoa nibs (crushed unsweetened cocoa beans) to the vanilla, and I made the raspberry with Perfect Purée supplemented with a little puree of frozen mixed berries.

Of course it wouldn’t be a DB challenge if I didn’t wind up up with a list of  “do-next-times” so here it is:

• Notice how my Swiss roll slices are rather crumby? This happened upon slicing, and freezing thoroughly before slicing would help.
  • I think I’d like a fudge sauce based on cream rather than water; this became a bit icy when frozen.
  • Reversing the ice cream layers (raspberry on top, vanilla on the bottom) would give a better contrast between the ice cream and the Swiss roll layer.
  • Whole raspberries should go in there somewhere.

I believe some of the other Daring Bakers offer suggestions for flavor combinations that are not chocolate and raspberry. I might have to grudgingly admit that they might be good too.

Lovely job! Your bombe looks great! And I say, if you like something, stick with it! Chocolate and raspberry are so good together!

I think your cake looks absolutely perfect. You made this cake, so you should feel free to add raspberries as often as you’d like :D. My Swiss rolls came out a lot crumblier than yours thanks to my overheating oven. I hope I’ll be able to blog about my cake tomorrow. Anyway, congratulations on making through this challenge. You did an amazing job.

3. Paul says

I think I could k__l (i.e. commit a serious crime) to get a piece of this right about now.

Incredible, Susan. And what a great photograph.

Your cake looks great! I love the raspberry and chocolate flavor combination as well. I thought about doing that as well and then went with chocolate and cherry. Nice job on the challenge!

Another challenge well done. I agree on some of your “next time” points. I started to cut the swiss rolls and decided to put them in the freezer for an hour to firm them up since they too, seemed crumbly, and I would definately use a different fudge sauce recipe. Hey- and you know what, there’s nothing wrong with raspberries and chocolate!

Oooo… the raspberries add such a wonderful brightness to the dessert! And they’re so adorable. Way to go July’s Daring Bakers Challenge… you definitely are a daring baker. Keep it up ^_^

7. Gabrielle says

Oh My! That looks soooo Good! Is there any way that you could pass us the recipe? I’d love to try it! Thanks!!