How I Spent My Summer Vacation

The Week’s Breads

It’s been a quiet week here at Wild Yeast, but not a quiet one for me at all. I just finished a 5-day advanced artisan bread workshop at the San Francisco Baking Institute – my fourth at the school. The courses are geared towards professional bakers, but (lucky for me) home bakers are also welcome. Check out SFBI’s program if you’re interested in learning, in a very hands-on fashion, how to bake bread from the most passionate, knowledgeable, and friendly people in the baking industry. (And no, they really didn’t pay me to say that!)

Here are some of the breads we made this week. See more photos here. You can be sure I’ll be making many of these at home in the coming weeks… stay tuned!

Roasted Potato Bread
Roasted Potato Bread

Caramelized Hazelnut Squares
Caramelized Hazelnut Squares

Spelt Bread
Spelt Bread

Miches
Miches

Semolina-Durum Crowns
Semolina-Durum Crowns

Pan d’Oro
Pan d’Oro

1. Trish says

Fabulous looking bread – could be a page out of a gourmet magazine – nice photos – we’ll be looking forward to the recipes!

2. fleur-de-liz says

Those breads are gorgeous, particularly the roasted potato bread and the semolina-durum crowns! What type of flour did you use for the miches? You are tempting me to sign up for a SFBI course…. Can’t wait to see your future breads! Thanks, Liz

Susan I hardly know what to say! Those are so beautiful and I just think you must be in a category all your own cuz you are not the typical “home cook”! Brava those are all beauties and so exotic looking!

Fru B, where are you from? I visited your blog and I think I recognize the language as a Scandinavian one. I used to speak a little Swedish, but sadly that has left me now. I enjoyed your photos though!

Trish and Zorra, it is really wonderful to go to the class and be able to turn out all of these great breads — we’ll see how I fare when I’m trying to do them at home. Probably a different story altogether.

Liz, the miches have a combination of white flour, high-extraction flour, and rye. They are huge — almost 4 pounds each.

BZ, it’s really not me, it’s the class!

Jamila, yes, I feel very fortunate to have been able to take the class, and I did love it.

Bart, I think you have learned it, from the looks of your blog! Very nice breads.

6. Abbey says

Susan, this is gorgeous! I’d like to know how you got that lovely look of the spelt breads–it’s not slashing. Did you flip them seam-side up for baking?

Abbey, you’re very perceptive. The edge of the dough was swept lightly through flour before gently closing the seam, and they were indeed baked seam-side-up.

Oh my! It’s already late at night here and I am drooling over yr pics! I love each and every one of them. I just recently discovered your blog (sorry!) and now I must read all of your posts…
    I wish we had baking classes like that in Holland, seriously considering relocating.