Some Thoughts About Posting Recipes

If you’ve looked around Wild Yeast, you know that I frequently adapt and post recipes from some of my favorite baking books. This is common practice among food bloggers, and OK from a legal standpoint, as recipes are not subject to copyright protection.

Legality and prevalence notwithstanding, doing right is important, and it has always been my belief and intention that when I post my take on another person’s recipes, I respectfully communicate my admiration for that person and their work, while sharing my own thoughts and processes. However, my recent posting of an adaptation of Flaxseed Rye, from Jeffrey Hamelman’s wonderful book Bread: A Baker’s Book of Techniques and Recipes, prompted a reader to challenge me a little. Wasn’t it impolite and disrespectful to reference another person’s work in this way without his permission?

Taking a deep breath, I decided to ask Chef Hamelman what his thoughts were. He has given me permission to share his eloquent and gracious response:

“I’ve given some thought to your emails. To me, bread is rich and deeply historical, and is one of those very fundamental things that has lineage. And part of respecting the lineage is in doing just what you have been doing—giving attribution of recipe sources and inspirations. This is how we keep the links intact. It’s a value thing, an ethic … If you read the introduction in the book BREAD to Horst Bandel’s Black Pumpernickel and Miche Pointe-à-Callière you will get a sense of what my personal values are. So I’m saying yes, continue with what you are doing.”

Now if you have the book, go read, or re-read, those parts. And if you don’t have the book, get it, because these charming stories are a wonderful example of why you should buy books even if you can scavenge 100% of their recipes online. It isn’t really the recipes (lists of ingredients and steps) that you’re buying, is it? It’s the wisdom and love and creative expression and passion of the authors who bring them to life that are the true value here. Thank you, Jeffrey Hamelman, for writing a great book and for generously encouraging us to honor those who inspire us as we pursue, and share, our own passion for baking.

Thank you for posting this and addressing the topic. Obviously it touches many food bloggers and I’m sure others have had the occasional reader (or troll, as mine was) who accuses the blogger of copyright violation for citing the original source. Some people don’t get it, but posts like yours help to clarify the issue.

2. Janie says

A thoughtful man with a beautiful mind! And you’re no slouch yourself. Thank you for an inspiring post.

Susan,
    Thank you for posting this. I hope that she/he visit you again, so she/he knows that you take the issues seriously. By the way, I made it this rye bread, but the crumb didn’t turn out like yours. So, I’ll be practicing a lot. However, my norwich sourdough is getting much much better. I make it every other day, and also starting to add flaxseed meal to it.
    Xoxo,
    elra

I think you’ve always been so very respectful of where you get your recipes from/inspired by. In fact, so many of the books that you’ve mentioned I’ve gone out and purchased BECAUSE of your positive recommendations. So, if anything, I’d think that you’re doing the author many favors! Keep on keepin on Susan :)

~Melissa

Your positive recommendations and reference to bread books has inspired a few recent purchases on my part, to be honest! Thanks for addressing this topic.

This is such a remarkable coincidence! Right now, I am in Norwich, VT taking a class taught by Chef Hamelman. I’ll make sure to tell him you posted his letter. He’s a fantastic teacher BTW!

That’s a really nice response. I didn’t quite expect him to be that gracious. Makes me treasure my copy of his book even more.

Great post!
    Also, very cool mom. (re comments)
    I have bought untold amounts of books on the rave reviews of other bloggers. They just make me shop all the more.
    Pay respect to the source and share the bounty! Great attitude. :)

You addressed this issue with grace and intelligence. I’ve always thought that if I wrote a cookbook, I would love to have bloggers writing about my recipes. The more publicity for good books, the better.

Lovely post. It’s been close to my heart too – when I post tried and tested cookbook recipes, I always acknowledge the source. And however easy it is to scavenge off the Internet, there’s nothing like reading a beautiful cookbook!

Thanks Susan, a very good post. All (self respecting) bloggers wonder about these issues sometimes. I think Mr. Hamelman shows his love for bread by his gracious answer. Even though you can find lots of recipes from certain foodwriters and bakers on the net, for me that just inspires me to buy a book, because you have to get some idea if a book really works for people at home.
    I downloaded a whole chapter of Hamelman’s book on internet to bake from it… and thát made me buy the whole book. It the best baking book I have (and I have lots of them!)
    All bloggers that use recipes must -in my view- of course always reveal the source, which most do fortunately. Shame on those who don’t!

I think Chef Hamelman gave a great response and one that highlights the true passion behind cooking and the need to share and inspire others. That’s why we blog and share our experiences and knowledge. That’s why people like Chef Hamelman publishes a book. As long as we respect the sources it should be shared.

Now if I can only get my Mothers secret pastry recipe out of her…

His answer reveals the heart and soul of a baker. Food, bread has always been and always will be about the sharing. Some of my buying books is a Thank You to the writer for sharing.
    My mom always said you attract more flies with honey . . . this just proves her right again.

Thanks everyone for thoughtful comments that add to the discussion. I want to be clear that I don’t at all begrudge the commenter asking the question; it was a fair one that probably needs to be asked more often.

Susan,
    Thanks Susan and Jeffrey for taking this issue to heart and sharing your thoughts. From the historical and ethical point of view, this seems the best way to handle the issue of recipes. I always want to know where recipes come from, if possible, for many reasons. A recipe represents so much more than a collection of words belonging to one person. I think giving credit for the path recipes take from one person to the next is an honest and valuable way to document people, culture and history. And I am much more likely to buy a cookbook if someone recommends a recipe from that author to me. So many cookbooks – so little time!

Susan, I don’t even think that the availability of these recipes on the internet harms the selling of a book. To me it’s just the proof of the pudding; the recipes do work out very well so I want to buy the book.

17. Suzanne says

It’s been interesting to me to see the differences between different industries and groups in regards to ‘intellectual rights’ and competition. My husband runs a comic shop and while I’m sure there are some stores that are very competitive, for the most part it’s a community and no one store tries to steal customers from another. In fact, many of the store owners know each other pretty well and work together on various projects. When fliers from a nearby store wound up in the parking lots of several other stores in our town (he’d hired an outside company to distribute them), the owner of the first store went around and apologized :)

Restaurants may be competitive at times, but most of the people I’ve known who work in them move from one to the other and are more interested in the food and the job than in fame. It’s a community. Granted, I’ve only worked in the little out of the way corner of food service that is smaller bakeries, but when I’ve seen competition, it’s been aimed at bettering ourselves and the food, not our reputation. I think that leads to much more fertile grounds for innovation than the standard attempts to “win” through obscurity. I’m glad to see more communities springing up willing to share and work together these days.

18. Jo says

Glad to hear you all buy the books! On the money saving websites I have visited people will do anything not to buy books. If you don’t buy them, the authors won’t write any more, pretty simple. By the way, I am not a troll, nor disrespectful, and was only asking a question as I genuinely wanted to know the answer. I have the answer now thanks to Susan’s dialogue with this author. Other authors might not feel the same, you won’t know until you ask them too, and I am sure they would be pleased to be asked and given that respect they are owed, as Chef Hamelman undoubtedly was. Democracy, free speech include asking questions that make people think about what they do and how they do it. That’s all I was doing. I think it was worthwhile. I hope you do too.

Beautifully said.

I’ve always felt that you do a great job of attributing recipes and giving credit where its due, unlike some of us lazy ones (I usually just say, here’s the recipe-and link to it). You’ve inspired me to go one step beyond that when posting a recipe.

What a beautiful and honest post!

I’ve always enjoyed reading your posts and certainly learned a lot from you. You’ve always shown us a really good example of giving credit and attributing recipes. Thank you for being you and inspiring many of us baking enthusiasts!

Hi Susan,

Thanks for this post. I’ve been worried about copyright infringements since I started blogging. I’ve still not clarified what the situation is in Europe and the UK in particular, since this is where I live. I’ve chosen to put in links to where the recipes are listed and add explanations to the bits I do differently. From speaking to Swedish friends, it seems that publishing recipes there is encouraged as this allows them to evolve and just adds to the richness of our culinary heritage, still I try to be on the cautious side. It’s nice to know that I’m not the only one worrying.

Just a quick thank you to Jo for the link to UK copyright.

Now back to Susan’s photos, I think I spotted something very interesting and tasty looking.

Caramella

23. FrankFN says

I heard from several sources that people didnt recieve the product they bought from amazon
    is this true?

24. NealZR says

A contestant, Sally, on ‘Who wants to be a Millionaire?’ had reached the final plateau. If she answered the next question correctly, she would win $1,000,000. If she answered incorrectly, she would pocket only the $25,000 milestone money. And as she suspected the Million Dollar Question was no pushover.

It was, ‘Which of the following species of birds does not build its own nest but instead lays its eggs in the nests of other birds?

Is it:
    A) The condor

B) The buzzard

C) The cuckoo

D) The vulture

The woman was on the spot. She did not know the answer. She had used up her 50/50 Lifeline and her Ask the Audience Lifeline.

All that remained was her Phone-a-Friend Lifeline.

She hoped she would not have to use it because….Well, her friend was, well, a blonde. But she had no alternative.

She called her friend and gave her the question and the four choices. The blonde responded unhesitatingly: ‘That’s easy. The answer is C: the cuckoo.’

The contestant had to make a decision and make it fast… She considered employing a reverse strategy and giving any answer except the one that
    her friend had given her. And considering her friend was a blonde that would seem to be the logical thing to do. But her friend had responded
    with such confidence, such certitude, that the contestant could not help but be convinced.

Crossing her fingers, the contestant said, ‘C: The cuckoo.’

‘Is that your final answer?’

‘Yes, that is my final answer.’

‘That answer is absolutely correct! You are now a millionaire!’

Three days later, the contestant hosted a party for her family and friends, including the blonde who had helped her win the million dollars.

‘Jeni, I just do not know how to thank you, ‘ said the contestant.

‘How did you happen to know the right answer?’

‘Oh, come on,’ said the blonde ‘Everybody knows that cuckoos don’t build nests. They live in clocks.’

Sally fainted.

25. BlueHornet says

This looks cool so far, what’s up people?
    If there are any real people here looking to network, leave me a post.
    Oh, and yes I’m a real person LOL.

Later,

The ipod touch 8gb is $230 on the apple store and the iphone 8gb is $200. If the iphone is also a phone why is the ipod touch more expensive? What features does one have but not the other?

________________
    unlock iphone 3g

28. pasternakbezbill says

It can be argued that news organizations like CNN and others could not have existed successfully during the era of film technology. As it happened, CNN began its news transmissions in 1980, just as ENG was starting to come into its own. The technology had not yet been fully perfected and integrated with satellites and microwave, which accounted for some of the clumsiness of early CNN transmissions. However, ENG proved to be a crucial development for all television news.

29. Maxigenzztop says

Hello !

I’m new on this forum so I introduce me…

My name is Max I’m 27 years old, I’m a Belgian in USA.

My hobbies : horses, dogs and video games.

PLease visit my website : Assurance temporaire

Nice to meet you.

30. Molly says

It’s good to know that recipes aren’t subject to copyrights.. I didn’t know that and I had a lady freak out at me on my blog about not posting the “rights” to her recipe. YIKES! Now I know. Kudos.

-Molly
    Antique Jewelry

31. Inceshice says

???????????. ?????? ????? ? ???. ????? ????? ????????? – «???????
    ???????!!! ».
    ???????????. ????? ? ?????, ????? ?????? ? ??????, ???? ??????????,
    16-17 ???.
    ????? ??????? ?????? ? ????? ?????? ? ???.
    ?????? ????? ?? ????? ????????? – «??????? ???????!!! »
    ? ???????? ???? ? ???? ??? ????? ??????.
    ????? ??????? — ???????! ?????? ??????!
    ?? ??? ?? ?????????? ?? ?????????? ?????
    ??…
    ? ???? ?? ??? ???????????, ??? ?????? ?????.
    ????.
    ????? ????????? – «??????? ???????!!! »
    ????????.
    «?? ?????? ??????? »
    ??? ????? ?????????. ???????? ???, ?????? ????????.
    ? ???? ?????? ???????.
    ?? ? ??? ?? ???. ?????? ??????
    ???? ????????? ?? ??????? ? ???????? «? ?? ??… ??? ??????? ?????? »

p.s. ???? ??????????? ???? ? ??, ???? ???????? ???)

32. Ceargoarguels says

Hi there. Thank you so much for sharing an awesome forum like this.
    it’s amazingly very useful. hope to learn more from you.
    I have my own blog called strange as.. מיני בר.There you can see good things

Best Laptop Today
    There are a lot of facts to consider when scouting for the very best model of laptops today. How wonderful one brand differs from how people evaluate it. All answers will probably be subjective and according to their point of views. Model of laptops may outperform the other person in a country overseas, in games and purposes. Almost all of them look and seem to be not the same as the other. Yet they may be virtually identical inside because almost all of the laptops are produced by the same band of companies which contributes to the identical hardware components. This makes it quite challenging to evaluate whether certain brand is superior to the other, with the same manufacturers make the components inside. All of it depends upon slight differences relating to the laptop brands and private preferences.

Competition between computer manufacturers wasn’t as fierce as today. Now with the innovation inside technology, there are so many manufacturers who are able to offer computers with much the same features and quality that it must be an increasingly to choose the best computer. They have a tendency to out best one another because it’s where did they survive in the market. They compete when it comes to price, features, performance, design, tech support, value, and software. It is usually quality over price.

With endless innovation of notebook computers year after year it contributes to countless amount options and variety to choose from which making it hard for individuals to choose the correct brand for individuals. I am going to give you five of the greatest label of laptops today:

1. APPLE: It does not take student’s # 1 choice in the united states. Computers designed by Apple, including Macs, are incredibly simple to operate, portable, powerful, efficient, and they look cool. Apple’s computers are less vulnerable to viruses and you don’t have to reformat them. You can drive them whenever you go since they’re really small, thin, and relatively light. Also, their beautiful design and perception of high quality will make you look cool and fashionable.

One of the biggest attributes of owning an apple is probably the technical support that provide it. This consists of 3 months of free phone support and usage of trained technicians that really help its customers troubleshoot their problems.

2. SONY: Expensive but another trusted brand is Sony. Its VAIO series are incredibly popular regarding assorted designs, premium features and gratification. The brand is known for its durability in addition to sturdy designs. Sony is globally recognized for the distinctive personality along with the high end products.

3. LENOVO: It offers the resourcefulness comfort and ease. Lenovo is ergonomically equipped in relation to its physical structure as well as its software features. They brought Thinkpad Edge and IdeaPad laptops available in the market.

4. TOSHIBA: One of the most innovative brands of laptop to go for, for the inexpensive and powerful. They have delivered the most effective notebooks (Toshiba Mini NB305) and laptops (Toshiba Satellite E205) available in the market. Though Lenovo isn’t the cheapest model of 2010, will still be a great choice for your budget.

5. HP/COMPAQ: Regardless of what your social income, taste and preference, often there is an HP laptop to suit your needs. In spite of the competitions available in the market today HP remains to be the pioneering computer manufactures of best laptops on the planet. It’s trusted and distinguished company which could supply large choice of potential goods that satisfies different segment of the market. HP sheer range and variety of products can make it just about the most unique laptop brands.

The newest Soloflex Appliance Magic size. Soloflex

http://cigetix8qu.terapad.com/index.cfm?fa=contentNews.newsDetails&newsID=1660079&from=list rock songs get over divorce

The right foods to construct muscles can have a fundamental relation to your workouts, along with the outcomes you get from their website. Put simply, you could be launching high on $ 10 , 000 calories from fat per day, nevertheless except if the correct nutrition are there you will only placed on a lot of extra fat. Keep reading to discover the best food to build muscle mass.

Learn how taking in an excessive amount of health proteins can harm the body.

BSN CellMass carries a method which can help one to obtain significantly far better final results. With BSN CellMass, you will finally be able to get the branded forms of creatine which will help that you enhance natural power and increase your muscle tissue perform. If you use BSN CellMass, you will be able to get a complex and also the best possible combination of 100 % natural ingredients including proteins, creatines, yet others that will help you to definitely make sure you get just what you may need. Together with BSN CellMass, you’ll be able to secure a mixture of 100 % natural ingredients that truly harmonizes with alone. Problems Associated with BSN CellMass

Conduct ingredient workout routines to develop your muscles. Compound exercises not merely sponsor a great deal of muscles soluble fiber, and also lead you to commitment your stomach muscles vigorously to create strength. Exercise such as counter presses, shoulder pushes, tendency over series, dips, deadlifts and also squats. Target nine for you to Twelve reps with your own workout routines carry out four or five pieces. Elevate the most heavy dumbbells you are competent at training and also have an exercise lover accessible to assist you. Take eventually off of relating to the exercises in order to avoid over education. Step four

A couple of. That eradicates provide flab The particular shake bodyweight on it’s own won’t get rid of supply fat. You will have to watch your nutrition along with improve general activity ranges for considerable supply tightening.

As being a puppy they ate Organic Selection Nutromax Pup Super which includes 32 protien as well as 17 fat. He or she ate that will till he or she ended up being 24 months outdated, i quickly changed your ex up to Nutromax Substantial Electricity Formula which can be 25 and also 16 extra fat while they turned A couple of. Puppy Really supported his / her massive progress and also the High Energy facilitates the active lifestyle that advances muscles development. Everyone remarks in his / her coat and also muscle tissue construction and also mass. However this individual consumes as well as existence great thus this individual seems very good. Really quite simple.

The important thing to more and better ingestion of the component creatine will be the hormonal the hormone insulin. To increase the hormone insulin may be the goal through the first day regarding creatine companies. To accomplish this they mostly applied sugar, ideally the high glycemic dextrose. Here is the same product or service utilized to asses insulin awareness throughout diabetic person folks. Almost as much as several businesses claimed to be progressive by doing this or perhaps believed to become so in line with the exact medication dosage they applied, they will just weren’t. This is a procedure that has been used for more than Your five decades. Other implies that that is a has put forward have gone down on unproductive soil. ALA may well imitate blood insulin to a point, the strength can not really rival that or kind an extensive choice, probably not really a guide, to be able to insulin.

Read the content previously mentioned and the ones for the Totally free Content articles Web page each one will inform anyone in the different factors and just how you’ll be able to make use of this to change anyone system inside and out Next youll have the ability to reply What’s Isometric Coaching

Magnificent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely magnificent. I really like what you have acquired here, really like what you are saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it smart. I can’t wait to read far more from you. This is really a great site.!

euro grand casino bonus

36. Vetephetscort says

Man .. Excellent .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your website and take the feeds alsoI’m happy to search out numerous helpful info right here in the put up, we want work out extra strategies in this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

37. handwerio says

Im Handwerk gibt es einen neuen Trend: Auftragsbörsen wie My-Hammer. Dort können Interessierte ihre Aufträge einstellen und erhalten Gebote.

Handwerker mit zu wenig Aufträgen können dann Aufträge entgegennehmen. Danach Bewerimg.

Wie findet Ihr das?

Gruesse
    Euer handwerio

1. [...] Some Thoughts About Posting Recipes Wild Yeast Posted by root 21 hours ago (http://www.wildyeastblog.com) Post a comment 40 comments jen yu on march 23 2009 at 01 15 pm his answer reveals the heart and soul of a baker food bread has always been and always will be about the what i 39 ve been reading powered by wordpress et al Discuss  |  Bury |  News | some thoughts about posting recipes wild yeast [...]